Thursday, November 25, 2010

Cookies Day 3 - Choco-Cherry Bites

Today in NOTL:  Cold out there, with 2 p.m. temps of 37F/3C under cloudy skies with rain off and on today.  A gorgeous day!

At the end of this post will be the 3rd cookie recipe...yummy chococherry bites!

Today I am working on uploading some pear ACEOs to the Etsy shop, or trying to, lol.  It ought to be easy, but it is time-consuming and I keep making silly mistakes and having to start over.  Argh!

Still on my pear kick - I tend to get into ruts.  I do a card on beaches, and then here come a bunch of beach cards.  Or sunsets or poodles or whatever.  I try not to, but I pick up the brush and the next thing you know, I'm back into a rut.

Today's card is one I did a year ago.  I kept it for myself, actually, just because.  I thought the snow looked pretty good.

It's Thanksgiving in the US, and I watched the Macy's parade this morning.  It's so ingrained in my experience of Thanksgiving that as soon as I saw the first band, I could feel my holiday spirit perking up.  Hope you're getting ready for a great holiday.  Here is the cookie recipe I promised you, a lovely chocolate and cherry flavoured cookie that is great with the frosting but still yummy without.

Choco-Cherry Bites

2 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. almond extract
1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries, drained
1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Frosting:
2 cups powdered sugar
3 tbsp. butter, softened
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 to 4 tbsp. half and half

Oven at 350 degrees.
1.  Mix together all cookie ingredients EXCEPT the cherries and nuts, mixing well.
2.  Add in cherries and nuts, stirring to blend.
3.  Roll into small balls (my round tablespoon measure works great for making equal sized balls).
4.  Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
5.  Bake 10-15 minutes or till golden brown.

TO PREPARE THE FROSTING:
Combine all frosting ingredients until smooth.

Generously frost cooled cookies.  Yield: about 4 dozen.

No comments: