Monday, January 3, 2011

Reading and Readings...

Today in Niagara-on-the-Lake:  Cold, with a high of 29F/-1C under mostly sunny skies although clouds will move in later along with light flurries.

People often ask what is the difference between an Angel Reading and a Tarot Reading.  I like both, actually.  In an Angel Reading, the information comes from the Angels themselves; I'm not really involved other than to listen and repeat or see and interpret (the Angels often work with symbols although we've worked out a symbolic language, if you will, for broad themes that recur in readings).  In a Tarot Reading, the Angels give information but I am involved, too, as I offer the meaning of the card or a particular image that steps forward to be addressed.

Sometimes we want to know things the Angels won't address.  For example, we may want to know the outcome of a particular situation.  The Angels won't go there; I understand from them that by telling us the outcome, we would make choices based on that information and they see that as impacting free will.  We can use the cards, though, to show us how the energies are flowing and gain insight into how things will turn out - provided the folks involved don't shift things through the decisions they make each day. 

I've been doing Year Ahead readings, which I always enjoy.  Taking a look month by month, the cards show the energies that are supporting and blocking us so that we can have a more satisfying year.  For example, say that the energies in February are supportive energies are flowing toward innovation and blocking energies are surrounding harmony.  Recognizing that would alert me to possible interpersonal conflicts, allowing me to handle situations with greater attention to clarity and respect, thus avoiding disharmony to the best of my ability.  I'd also know to pay attention to new ideas and ways of thinking/doing/being in February, recognizing that the flow of energy supported me in embodying new perspectives and perhaps trying new things or implementing changes in my life or work.  Helpful stuff!

Today I am working on the cover for a pdf product I've been developing for a while now.  It's geared toward artists and crafters and that is all I'm going to say till I get it up and available at Etsy and here on the website.  I've been using it and it is GREAT, she said modestly.  *s*  Hey, if it's not good stuff, why would I waste time working on it, eh?  And if it IS good stuff, why would I keep it a secret? 

Memo to self:  Do not be afraid to acknowledge the good things you do and the excellence of the work you do.  *thinking about that*  Hmm.  Anything I don't feel is excellent never makes it to the website or Etsy shop because I wouldn't feel right offering it...so why be shy about saying so?  Lord knows enough stuff makes it to the wastepaperbasket or meets the delete key! 

I guess it's because I've met so many people who promote themselves in ways that make me recoil.  "Look at me!  Look what I can do!" or "Look how much better I am than everyone else!  I'm the authority!  Nobody talk - I'll hold forth!"  That kind of thing makes me take about five steps back on my way to the Exit.  I wouldn't feel comfortable promoting my readings, for example, in that fashion.

My feeling is that while it's true that nobody can do the reading I do, I can't do the reading someone else does.  We are all able to do that which is given to us.  Deb does a wonderful Angel Amulet reading, which is a far cry from the Meet Your Angel reading I do.  I confess that when I was present for one of these, I was blown away.  I felt a moment of "Awwwww, that's GREAT!  Why aren't my MYA readings that good??"  It wasn't till she said later, "I know they're not as good as your MYA readings..." that I realized we were both falling into a major trap:  If I can do it, it mustn't be any good. 

Where do we get those ideas?  I see it all around us - one friend downplays the fabulousness of her cooking while one shrugs off her ability to handle money and another dismisses praise of her fashion sense.  Gotta get over ourselves and recognize that yes, we do some things brilliantly!  Just because I have meltdowns over layout doesn't mean I don't have fabulous brainstorming ability.  I may not be able to sculpt or paint a Walter Campbell-style watercolour, but I can do fabulous Jean-style watercolours.

I visit Etsy sometimes just to look at the garp some people are offering with pride, work I'd have tossed into the garbage can instantly.  But no, they offer it proudly and you know what?  Someone comes along who sees what they do and it sells.  It's all about how we see ourselves and our work.  If we think it's garp, people will see it as such. 

Now to implement the insight!  *gulp*

No comments: