Today in NOTL: Cold, with 11:30ish temps at 26F/-3C, and snowing. It's a winter wonderland!
It will be a busy day today; I've been making holiday gifts and am not exactly finished yet. Not to mention wanting to make a few things for this weekend's holiday sale! We have to make room for Christmas, so we'll be having sale prices on rosaries, bracelets, angels, and art pendants. If you're looking to drive out to enjoy Niagara at the holidays, be sure to stop in this weekend! I think Deb said the hours were from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m.
Today's recipe uses a cake mix base. The nice thing about using cake mixes is that you don't have to start measuring flour and soda, etc. - just crack in those eggs, pour the oil and you're ready to drop cookies onto the sheet.
If you are going to make cookies from mix, start with a good cake mix. Dollar store cheap mixes tend not to be as tasty as Betty's or Duncan's. You can boost the cookie flavour even more by using extracts and spices.
Use add-ins to vary the cookies to your tastes.
There are lots of kinds of cake mix out there, and you probably tend to purchase only yellow or chocolate. Take another look at the array, next time you're out shopping, and think COOKIES!
If you love carrot cake, you'll love today's cookies. Don't forget the cream cheese frosting!
Carrot Cookies (from cake mix)
1 pkg carrot cake mix (18.25 oz)
1/2 cup oil
2 large eggs
1 cup raisins
1 cup grated carrot (peeled first)
1 cup pecans
1/2 cup coconut
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or just add cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice to taste)
Cookie sheets prepared with waxed or parchment paper or sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
1. Using the large bowl of your mixer, beat together 1/2 the cake mix with oil, eggs, and any spices on medium speed 1-2 minutes. Remove from mixer.
2. Add remaining cake mix and any desired add-ins, stirring till combined to make dough.
3. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto sheets, 2 inches apart.
4. Bake 10-14 minutes, till edges are set but centers soft.
5. Cool on sheet 2 minutes before transferring to rack to cool completely.
6. Frost with cream cheese frosting, if desired.