Sunday, December 5, 2010

Day 11 of Cookies...M and M Cookies

Today in NOTL:  was cold!  Snow expected.

Spent the day making Christmas gifts, which took longer than I expected but they came out really well.  One is an order which will be a gift, the other is a gift I'm giving.

Today's recipe is for that school bake-sale classic:  M&M Cookies.  I got the recipe when I was taking a summer school course as a teacher.  The local university was mainly a commuter school, and in the summer the student union was closed down.

We teachers were in class for several hours each afternoon, since we were cramming a full semester into a two weeks, I think it was.  With no cafeteria or concessions available, the instructor got a church youth group to sell snacks and drinks for our convenience.  One day they brought these cookies and they were so good I badgered the kids to get me the recipe.  It worked, and here it is.  I've been told that this is the M&M recipe from the company, but I never checked.

M&Ms Cookies

1 cup Crisco (vegetable shortening)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon water
2 eggs
2 cups + 4 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups M&M plain candies

Blend Crisco and sugars.
Beat in vanilla, water, and eggs.
Sift remaining dry ingredients together and add to the sugar and egg mixture. Mix well.
Stir in M&Ms. Drop from teaspoon onto ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake at 375 degrees F for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
For additional color, press extra M&Ms into cookies before baking.
Makes 6 dozen 2 1/2 inch cookies.


I'll upload some art tomorrow. I had joined a still life swap and everything came out nasty.  A friend suggested I just do more pears, so I tried that and it was much better.

No comments: