Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Yay!

Today in NOTL:  A cloudy, chilly morning, with 10:30 a.m. temps of 63C/17F, though we're told it will warm up to an outrageous 77F/25C, but I am not convinced.

A shower of small yellow leaves drifted past my window just now.  I love Autumn in Niagara!

So I finished the books I enjoyed and plowed through a couple that were less delightful.  I don't know, as soon as I read something like, "Rowan Stilthurst Mountebank, Viscount Hartsleigh tossed the document scornfully to the floor and glared at the young woman standing before him," well, I just want to start banging my head against the wall.  Sigh.  I have very little patience for historical romance, bodice-rippers and such. 

From my observation, the writers of this kind of fiction have a great struggle before them: how to make their heroes both swoon-worthy and desirable despite their forceful disregard of milady's wishes.  I don't know, such books are full of this kind of thing: 'His strong body blocked the door, her one means of escape.  Evelyn tried to get past him, but he caught her arm in a crushing hold and pulled her body against his.  She struggled to free herself, but he grabbed her hair, forcing her head back.  "I will have you," he growled. "Your stubborn refusal will only make things go the harder for you."  She twisted in his hold, but his hungry mouth found hers and plundered it mercilessly....'  I dunno, I read that and think, 'Good grief, that's assault." 

But women buy it and so do some men, go figure.  Anyway, I have a raft of these to read, so who knows?  Maybe I'll end up writing a bodice-ripper of my own. 

What I **did** love and love a lot was the first book in the Jan Karon Mitford series.  Rats, that there was only the one in the box.  I am anxious to get the rest of the series - along with everything Jan Karon ever wrote.

In other news, Deb is taking pics today of the pendants, hooray!  I'll post as soon as I get them.

No comments: